01 September 2013

Scary September

BeaJay of On the Road to Sew Wear has challenged herself to step out of her comfort zone to make this month Scary September and I've decided to join her.

Step

BeaJay, inspired by luminaries like Margy, Shams and JillyBe and by her attendance at a Fractured Knits workshop given by Suzanne Gray, plans to release her inner arty trendsetter and become more edgy and eclectic.

Me, I'm not so brave. Instead, I'm vowing by the end of September to leave the house in the daylight in a pair of pants I made. This was also my challenge for Me-Made May '13, but I didn't make any headway on it. I'm working my way through Sandra Betzina's two Craftsy Pants classes (Fitting and Construction*) and I have produced a muslin that fits very snugly yet lets me sit and bend comfortably, but I am NOT ready to go public with it yet. So, Scary September it is.

*Incidentally, Sandra Betzina's classes get a certain amoung of negative feedback because SB's delivery is a little jumbled--she rarely finishes sentences, for example. But I love them. Sandra Betzina has been sewing and teaching for a long time. Watching her sew and think about sewing conveys so much more information and wisdom than she could possibly cram into a scripted presentation that I don't mind having to rewatch bits now and then!

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun and I love those Craftsy classes too. I'm watching the one on jeans and am going to give them a try. Good luck and enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to mention you in the post as someone who should be included on the list of edgy and eclectic seamsters!

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo - glad to have you on board and looking forward to seeing the pants finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to see your knit fabric art! Go you!

      Delete
  3. Why, thanks for that shout out, KC! Good luck with Scary September!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really a shout out, it's an echo of BeaJay's shout out. But you're welcome!

      Delete
  4. I'm watching a couple of Craftsy classes myself....Maybe I'll finish my T-shirt TNT during September......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent much of the summer in search of the TS TNT. Stay tuned ...

      Delete
  5. Good for you. If I was currently in the mood for sewing I would join you all in Scary September, but it would more likely be Sewing Free September and I would have yet more to feel guilty about.

    I hear you about wearing handmade pants in public, I made several pairs at the beginning of the summer and couldn't wear them right away. Once I started I wore nothing else. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so not motivated to try on RTW pants or spend money on them, but I desperately need pants. So here goes!

      Delete
  6. Oh, scary, schmary. I'm sure your pants will be good looking. Have you tried Style Arc pants patterns? I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't. I had no idea there were so many Style Arc pants! Which do you recommend?

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the mention, KC...are you aware that fear and excitement feel the same in the body? Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to keep that in mind, Margy, thanks!

      Delete
  8. Ah, pants. I made so many pairs of pants last year, and they fit perfectly, and I wore them happily all through last summer and fall. Then something inexplicable happened over the winter, with the result that they became too small for me, and I have to start all over again! So keep a close eye on your beautifully made, perfectly fitted pants or they will try to shrink on you! That's the scary part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary indeed! I'm trying to get some pants done while I'm at my, er, most voluptuous to avoid that problem. We shall see.

      Delete